By Amanda Nguyen
New Zealand is definitely not for the faint hearted! If you’re into adventure – this is your place to be.
The South Islands was such a gorgeous place. I preferred the quiet Christchurch with its quirky cafes and bars, in comparison to Queenstown, which was filled with tourists and bad drivers. I honestly don’t think I met a local in Queenstown as every second store was catered to tourists, and the majority of workers were British or Australian!
The drive down from Christchurch to Queenstown was picturesque with its amazing views of mountains, aqua blue water and the occasional roadkill. Google Maps tells you the drive will only be 5 hours, but stopping at every roadstop to take photos makes it a good 6 hours.
Queenstown was the most physically challenging experience of my life, particularly because I braved the deadly 6 hour hike at Roys Peak. Coming from a girl that goes to the gym 6 days a week, THIS WAS DEATH. The way up was just steep rocky hills. No flat surfaces. No shade. No toilets. But once you get to the top, the views were incredible. Was it worth it? Well, I’m still recovering.
A few days later, I did the Nevis Bungy and Nevis Swing (highest bungy in NZ and highest swing in the world), and it was probably the best thing I’ve ever done. I would absolutely recommend this to anyone, but make sure you do not hesitate on the bungy, or else you’ll be there for a while.
So if you’re looking for an adrenaline rush, good food and loads of exercise, New Zealand should be next on your bucket list!
- Do your research and read all the fine print for when you’re booking a car rental – I recommend Snap Rentals
- Definitely hire a GPS (phone reception isn’t always available)
- Make one of your friends in charge of petrol money and everyone chips in around $200 at the beginning of the trip (petrol is approx. $2/L)
- Make sure you leave at least 2 free days in Queenstown, because sometimes the bungee/swing gets cancelled for the day due to bad weather
- If you wanna try the famous Fergburger, call up and order rather than wait 40 minutes in line
- Try Burgers and Beers in Christchurch – best chips ever!!!!